Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How God Has Change My Husbands Goals

Mike turns 40 this next week! What an awsome testimony his life is to God's faithfulness! I remember when I first met Mike, he was coaching basketball at a small school near lake Whitney. He told me then he had based his decision to teach there on that fact. Sure he had a love for basketball and a desire to teach, but ultimatly he was a guy who loved to fish. The years have passed and although Mike still loves many of the same things, his goals have changed in a powerful way. Gone are the days of making decisions based on the best fishing in Texas.
The years alone may have changed many of his goals. Age, experience and knowlege may have told him to possibly base his life on more mature pursuits, however it was God who ultimately changed his heart, his life, and his goals. I have been blessed to see many of these changes .
What a wonderful God we have who does not leave us to ourselves and our own desires. What a powerful and loving God we have who allows us to change and grow in His likeness.
Today, Mike still loves to fish, but his location, lures and catch have changed. Today he would rather fish for men, not because he is a great guy or because he has been given the gift of evangelism, but because God has done a work in Mike's heart changing it from a heart of stone to one of flesh. In Luke 5:10b Jesus says,"Do not be afraid, From now on you will catch men." So when they had brought their boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him." Mike, by God's grace ,recognized his own sinfulness and his futility and foolishness in laboring in vain for the things of this world, turned away from these things and followed Jesus Christ. It was that miraculously simple! God's word says"He saved us, not becuase of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy."
Yes, God has changed Mike's heart and in turn his goals and much to my amazement, he has changed mine along the way.
After much thought I realized the most important thing I could do for Mike's birthday is to ask you all to pray for him, for his walk and for his next 40 years!
Please leave a prayer or comment for him on this blog for his 40th birthday, thank you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post Megan! Happy 40th birthday Mike!! We are so thankful for the work God has done in your life, and pray He will continue to conform you to the likeness of His Son in the days, months, and years ahead!

Love in Christ,
The Haggard Family

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mike!! May God bless you and grow you in more in the next year than he did in the last.

mi familia said...

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Mike, we are so thankful for what God has done in your life. You evidence Christ's presence in your life in so many ways. We pray that God will continue to grow your love and devotion to Him even more over the next 40 years, and that He will continue to use you to bless others.

Love, The Woodalls

mi familia said...

Thank you Clark and Tara . . . Umm you cant be anonymous if you sign your name . . . ;) :)

Anonymous said...

Happy 40th Birthday Mike! We hope you all are doing well. We have truly missed your fellowship here in Glen Rose but know you all are seeking to follow God's will for your lives. We will continue to keep you all in prayers and thank the Lord for your friendship.

In Christ,
Thrash Family

mi familia said...

Thank you Thrash family. We are doing well and hope you are doing well also.
We certainly miss. Megan and I were talking about this just yesterday. We were questioning some of the decisions that we have made over the last year and half. We concluded that as difficult as some of the changes have been, though we desperately miss the fellowship that GCC has, we feel that we have ultimately made the right decision.
Please do keep us in your prayers. The IMB ride is about to pick up steam. It appears that we will be invited to candidate conference if things continue as they appear to be going.
If we "survive" candidate conference, the rest, as I understand it, is a basically all down hill.
That certainly doesnt mean that we will be accepted. It means, again the way that I understand it, that the chances of us being denied at that point are reduced considerably. Reason being is that the larger and more difficult obsticals are navigated during the first parts of the application process.

Lynn Presson said...

Wow, Mike! I cannot believe you are 40 today! Your skin looks great--you must tell me what night cream you use! Seriously, when Megan told me about your new family blog I was really excited. This will be a great way for us all to keep up and communicate when you are out of the country. Mike, when I read about where you were and where God has brought you in life, I am so grateful! God is truly doing a work in your life; I pray He continues to fashion and mold you for the next 40 years, too! You are a special guy to our entire family. We pray you have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY today!

Love from the entire Presson Clan...

Lynn

mi familia said...

Thank you Presson family,
Umm...that would be Oil of Olay.
I thank you guys as well. Yall have played a MAJOR roll in my growth. I thank you for the sacrifices that you guys have made over the last 9 years in staying obedient to God's Word, desiring to raise up godly Christian witnesses who will proclaim His name.