Sunday, May 17, 2009

Lee Family Update May 17th, 2009


Wow what a week this has been. We were in class 4 of the 5 days this past week. All were classes on how to acquire a new language. We gained a lot of insight on how to learn Spanish on our own.

Thank you all for your prayers. Thank you for participating in our mission here. Please continue to lift us up before the Father so that His Name might be known among the people in this city.

-While out on the streets this week I was able to meet many new people and was able to clearly present the Gospel to one young man in particular by the name of Steve. Steve is from the Cree nation in Saskatchewan. He is living with his girlfriend and they have 2 children. They are dirt poor and have recently come to Vancouver in order to get out of the reservation life (his wife is also Native American and is from another people in northern B.C.). 
Steve had been told in the past by fellow believers that he needed to ask Jesus into his heart and he would be saved.  This allowed me to explore his worldview a little more in depth, and then present the whole Gospel. He was certainly moved and was more than happy to be given a Bible so that he could start reading it. He promised me that he would read a chapter a day. The encouraging news is that I only asked him to read the book of John, one chapter a day. He responded that he wanted to read all of it. Pray that God would regenerate this young man so that he might have the hope that we have. 

-Pray for a lady that Megan met on the Sky Train. She is from Mexico City and is into a lot of spiritual disciplines. She was already on the train when Megan got on and asked Megan what it was about her that was different from everybody else. Megan told her it was Christ in her that she was seeing. The lady had many questions for Megan and wanted to get with her at a later time so that she might be able to visit with her. Please pray that God would give Megan wisdom and boldness and the He would remove the scales from this woman's eyes so that her heart might be right before Him and that she would repent of her wickedness. 

-I am still investigating the church planting movement that I mentioned to you last week. I went to a prayer meeting and was blown away by the genuine desire that the people had to make Christ known. Praying for the lost was stressed over and over. Getting out and proclaiming the Gospel was also proclaimed repeatedly. These people were SERIOUS about reaching not only Vancouver but the world (because the world is here in Vancouver). As I mentioned in my last letter, there were people from many different countries represented in the group that I was part of. One of the statements that the group leader said that moved me was that he wanted to see each one of the people who were not from Canada to take the Gospel back to their people. Even better, the group members were all agreeing.
Oh yes. This movement is apparently happening among young people. I was by far the oldest one in my group and among the entire leaders meeting (about 60-80 people) I was probably the second oldest. Nearly everybody else appeared to be around 26-27 and younger!

-I have not heard back from Daniel. Please continue to pray for him.

-I also have not heard back from Ricardo. Please be in prayer for him also.

-If you have not witnessed the Horror of Hasting Street (the post below) please take the time to do so. Please do not allow this clip to paint your view of all of Vancouver because all of Vancouver doesn't look like this. This city is actually a very picturesque place. The beauty here is breath taking. And as I have said in other posts the people here are, at least on the surface, as nice if not nicer than the people in the southern U.S. However the theme of the Horror on Hastings is entrenched within the culture here. I haven't quite been able to put my finger on it yet but it has much to do with the liberal mindset of the people--in more than just the obvious ways.

-THANK YOU ALL for praying for Jake. He is doing MUCH better now. He seems to be beginning to like Vancouver. Best of all mine and his relationship is growing and strengthening. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The Lee Family

3 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing your update!! It sounds like some awesome things are happening - praise God!!

Poppi & Mimi said...

Thanks, Mike...Really great news about Jake

Meditations said...

I thank my God upon every remembrance of you. May the Lord keep you, Megan and the kids in perfect peace. You guys are amazing and I very much look up to the selflessness you have shown me and I am sure the believers at GCC, to bring about the furtherance of the gospel. There is a wonderful crown waiting for you to lay at the Fathers feet.
My heart overflows in thankfulness to see your lives fully surrendered to whatever he calls you to.
But that does not change the fact that I miss you terribly.

In His everlasting Love,
Klare